Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dangerous Windows Explorer options

If you are a Windows user and in Windows Explorer if you do not have the file extensions visible (option: Hide file extensions for known types) and also have the habit of viewing the files in any mode other than 'details' mode (Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List), then you need to be definitely be aware of this vulnerability awaiting you.

Last week, I plugged in one of my pen drives into my friends comp and noticed that there was an extra folder (in the name 'New Folder'). I was sure I didn't create that, but was just curios as to how it got created. The apparent reaction was to click on the folder to see what files it has. I click on it, but nothing happens, the folder doesn't open. This is when I realized the possible trap.

After analysing, it turned out that my friend's comp was already infected with a virus; and I guess the virus automatically copies itself to any removable media attached to the comp. It spreads itself onto removable drives and creates autorun.inf to get control on the next comp where the pen drive is inserted (as explained by my earlier post). When that explains why the 'new folder' was created, it was still unclear as to what was inside it. Later, I figured out that, that Windows Explorer was configured (by default) to not show file extensions, and that the view mode was also tiles mode -- so some otherwise-apparent things have gone missing and before we could realize, the damage is done. It turned out that, the 'New Folder' was not a folder/directory, but an application with the application icon set exactly the same as a normal Windows Folder icon. See it for yourself.



In this scenario, MyFolder is an application, while MyFolder2 is a real folder -- Can you spot any difference?? Absolutely not. An immediate reaction for anyone would be to open the new folder, but end up executing the application!! This is a real danger.

Then I disabled the 'Hide extensions for known filetypes' and changed the view to details mode; Now you should spot the difference:



The application in the picture was created by me on my dev setup for testing; it is totally harmless. Apparently when any application has its icon set the same as 'Windows Folder', McAfee jumps in and tags it as a 'W32/Generic.worm.b' virus. Even my test application was caught promptly -- not bad.

So please be aware of this and think twice before clicking on anything from a removable drive (even if it is a folder). If the computer was not infected earlier, all it requires is a click to get infected (and as I had mentioned in my previous post, do not let autorun kick in anytime you insert a removable drive). It is a good practice to show the extensions all the time (unfortunately, Windows Explorer hides it by default :( ). The other good practice is to create 'system restore points' regularly, so you can get back to a clean state if required (this shall not be 100% effective for all cases).

5 comments:

  1. Reminds me of an incident my father faced with pen drive. It was with someone else and when it returned it was having autorun files in it. Home computer might also be infected now who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. most easy way to spread even among not so keen computer users :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. true :) and that's why it is very effective!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good catch Naveen.. thanks for the info.
    From starting Somehow I formed the habit of using Explorer in 'details' view and with file extension enabled.

    ReplyDelete