Monday, December 21, 2009

The high beam non-sense

I am getting to feel that the high-beam non-sense has tremendously increased on the roads in India in the recent times. With more people starting to ride on roads, with more and more powerful bikes and cars coming up, this has really become a PITA.

I wonder if (those) people even know that there are ways to control their beams. Maybe people like that extra indicator glowing on their dashboard, without bothering to worry about what it means. Not just cars, these days bikes' beams are also too bright to withstand. I hate these bike manufacturers for providing such big domes and reflectors -- specially the pulsars, unicorn etc., I can really feel that pain in my retina and like everyone else I would struggle to see through. No need to mention the consequences on the ride.

The other day, I started from office in a bad mood (as usual). Was driving my car on the service road in Outer ring road, Bangalore. There was an opposing car with high beams (nothing uncommon). It was really too bright, and with the scarce lighting on the service road, I could only see those two head lights in the whole world around me. Being frustrated already, I didn't want to ignore this. I thought I would at least let him know how it feels. So I just put my headlights on high-beam and drove towards him :) I was happy that he would have learnt a lesson by now; but interestingly, as our cars cross each other, this guy stops his car and scolds me for my high beam and leaves. Hmmm. feeling totally helpless when you are frustrated? priceless!!

Nothing is going to change, until this is seriously considered a traffic violation.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gerald,
    You spoke my mind man! I own a Pulsar and mind you the power lighting is really a blessing sometimes. But, I always ride using low beam and if I have to use high beam it is only for a moment to see which hell-hole I am riding into.

    What drives me crazy is there are half-intelligent people out there too. They will come towards you with a high beam, then switch to low beam and when they are close suddenly switch to high beam! I wonder, WTF did he have to bother to change in the first place. He could have continued with the nuisance.

    Then there are really dumb (or arrogant) blokes. Even if you switch to high beam to teach them a lesson it does not affect them a bit!

    Hell! Things will still remain the same. :-(

    ReplyDelete